Do you hear that? That slight bass bump in the distance, vaguely reminiscent of a high school pep rally? Sounds like Jock Jams to me. Oh yeah. Y’all ready for this?
It is THEME WEEK!
Did you get a little excited? It’s okay. You can admit it. I am way excited. This particular theme week is going to be indulgent of so many things I love – fashion, music and running. So let’s do it.
Here’s how it’s going to work. There are eight days left until my 10k race – The Bolder Boulder. This is my third year running the race and I’m going for a personal best time. I’ve trained pretty hard and had a few setbacks this season. I am incredibly pumped, but I can always use some extra motivation. And so the countdown begins.
I made a playlist. This was no easy feat. My workout i-Pod has nearly 800 songs on it and I love each and every one. Still, not all of them were outfit worthy and I didn’t want to be totally overwhelmed. It was really difficult to narrow it down but I finally allowed for 30 songs. These songs made the cut because they’ll be the ones I upload onto the Shuffle for the big Race Day. I utilized my “25 most played” list on i-Tunes and then tweaked it a bit with a few extra tunes.
Because this is a race playlist, I wanted the best of the best. The songs with the most buoyant basslines, ridiculous BPM and otherwise rollicking lyrics. These are the tracks that most motivate me to haul ass. There are still so many songs that didn’t make the cut. But as I always say about theme weeks – there’s still half a year of the project to go and always room for a reprise.
So what does this have to do with fashion and the outfits? Well, each day I’m going to hit the shuffle button on the playlist. Whatever song comes up is my inspiration for the day. I’ll then build an outfit around that song, based on whatever strikes me – the lyrics, the artist, the music video, the overall feel of the song. I will skip a song, if it’s already been used.
I’m hoping this will be fun for everyone. Fun outfits? Fun music? What’s not to love? Obviously my workout tunes are not at the high end of my musical taste but it’s some of my favorite music and I hope you’ll agree – the energy totally infectious. Unless of course, you’re one of those weird people who works out in total silence or to weird 80s ballads. And that’s okay too, I guess. I’d totally love to teach a yoga class entirely to Radiohead, someday. We’ve all got our quirks.
The other good news is that, if you like the music, I’m more than happy to share. I don’t think all 30 songs will fit on a CD, but I will be making a shorter mix and will send 25 of you a copy. All you have to do is be one of the first 25 people to shoot me an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org with your address. (If a few other people want one, don’t worry. I’ll probably send you one too.) I have an extra day off this week (holla!) so I’ll make a quick trip to the post office at the end of the week.
So anyway. Playlist is behind the cut. Outfit will be up later this evening. Let the fun begin!
1. “Music is the Victim” – The Scissor Sisters
2. “Run” – Gnarls Barkley
3. “Right Hand Hi” – Kid Sister
4. “Telephone” (DJ Dan extended Vocal Remix) – Lady Gaga and Beyonce
5. “Let’s Get Loud” – Jennifer Lopez
6. “Jimmy” – M.I.A.
7. “Evacuate the Dancefloor” (Extended Mix) by Cascada
8. “Hot Summer” – Monrose
9. “Let Me Think About It” (Club Mix) – Ida Corr and Fedde Le Grande
10. “Sexy No No No” – Girls Aloud
11. “Give it to Me” – Madonna
12. “She Wolf” – Shakira
13. “Tick Tick Boom” – The Hives
14. “Simple Little Melody” – Black-Eyed Peas
15. “When Love Takes Over” – David Guetta and Kelly Rowland
16. “Written on Her” – Birdman and Jay Sean
17. “Best Damn Thing” – Avril Lavigne
18. “Phonography” – Britney Spears
19. “Heartbreakin Diva” – Titus Jones mashup
20. “Spaceman” – The Killers
21. “And I Try” – Bimbo Jones
22. “Church” – T-Pain
23. “Make It Take It” – Amanda Blank
24. “Green Light” (Freemasons Remix) – Beyonce
25. “Diamonds and Guns” – The Transplants
26. “Tequila Lipgloss”- DJ Paul mashup
27. “Fire Burning” (Remix) – Sean Kingston ft. Pitbull
28. “Stuck on Repeat” – Little Boots
29. “She Wants to Move” (Remix) – N.E.R.D. ft. Common, Mos Def, De La Soul and Q-Tip
30. “I’m In The House” – Aoki ft. Zuper Blahq
Title courtesy of Beyonce – “Green Light”